Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Broken Hands and Other Blessings

How many of you carry boxes of window coverings or other things that are too heavy for you, or too bulky, or just too awkward? I think we've all been there!

Thanksgiving is over and done. I'd meant to post a Blessings blog but in the busyness of the weekend, it simply didn't happen. But after yesterday, it became even more apparent that I needed to stop and count my blessings.

Yesterday a new order of shades came in. It needed to be moved to the garage but really was too heavy and awkward for me. I picked it up anyway, quickly strode through the house to the garage, opened the heavy garage door while balancing the 7 foot long box (see, I can do this after all!), and promptly slid off the first step, catching myself by landing on my right hand. What an application of "Pride comes before a fall!"

Wow, did that hurt!!! I looked at my hand, then gingerly flexed it. It worked! Blessing! Then I looked again - what was that white spot in the blood blister that was forming on my swelling fingers? Think! What did I need to do? Years of mom experience kicked in. I eased my rings off, grabbed an ice pack and took some ibuprofen then called my doctor.

I'm giving thanks for our healthcare system. Within the hour my doctor saw my hand, sent me off for x-rays, and shortly thereafter gave me the good news - no broken bones! Bruising, swelling, soreness, but nothing broken!

So today I'm pausing to reflect on blessings. The blessings of family and great times together with them last weekend, the blessings of a Marine son who could briefly come home and reconnect with us, the blessings of general good health, work I love, the blessings of friends and this great country, and above all the blessing of a Heavenly Father who provides and cares for us and who loves us.

And what a blessing to have a hand that isn't broken! Lesson learned - ask for help!

Full steam ahead - carefully!

No comments: