Monday, June 01, 2009

Family Fun in Phoenix

A red-letter day in our family! My husband Bob turned 50! It's hard to believe that we're getting that old - but hey, with six grandchildren and the seventh on the way, I guess we've earned our years. I decided that something extra-special was called for to mark the occasion.

My husband's family is Canadian, and spread across the country. Why not gather them in a scenic place and surprise my husband with a mini family reunion? The plans were laid almost a year ago already. Invitations were sent out and plans proceeded. Finally the day came and my husband was surprised to learn that he was not helping me at a client's home that day as he had expected, but instead our bags were packed and we were on our way to Phoenix.

Once we had deplaned, we strolled towards baggage claim. Shock was written all over Bob's face as he spied eleven family members waiting for him at the exit. What was this? How did this happen? Yes, it was me, I confessed, who orchestrated the whole reunion.

We had a week together: siblings, spouses and parents. We left with wonderful memories of blazing Scottsdale sun, Sedona, the Grand Canyon, quadding in the desert, shopping in the outlet malls, and just relaxing around the resort pool. Hundreds of pictures. Time to chat, time to reconnect, time to realize again the importance of family.

And thanking God again for great blessings.

No comments: