Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Reflections on IWCE Vision09

I'm back and I've had a few days to reflect on the experience that was Vision'09. I think I'll still be processing ideas and sights for quite a while to come.

For a small business owner such as myself, it is always a huge investment of time and money to make the trip cross country, so I needed to weigh carefully the pros and cons of going. I have attended IWCE in the past, so I could better judge the value of the seminars I would attend and the education I would receive, as well as the opportunity to see the latest innovations in the industry and meet suppliers old and new. The benefits of meeting and learning from top designers, workrooms and professionals in the window coverings industry is also invaluable. Was there really any doubt in my mind? I booked my travel, packed my suitcase, and headed off to Atlanta. And what a positive experience it was!

The speakers were top-notch. The days were jam-packed with seminars in all the different areas of our industry - design, workroom, business, installation, etc. The show floor had a wide variety of vendors showing their latest wares. TrendSpot showcased Vignettes while hosting daily design trend talks, interviews with the designers of the Vignettes, tips and product presentations as well as Portfolio Reviews and Small Group Consultations. The Construction Zone featured top workroom experts giving demonstrations and product introductions in a hands-on area; as well contestants were presented with various challenges to design and create. The bookstore was filled with books and material specifically geared to the window fashions industry. To round out the busy schedule, there were various awards presentations and other special events. Is it any wonder my head was spinning?

What an enjoyable 4 days I spent in Atlanta. Thanks to Deb Barrett for all her help in seeing the the Vignette display through from conception to installation. Kudos and thanks to Grace McNamara and her entire organization for a well-organized and enjoyable exhibition. This was the best investment I could have made for professional development!

Today I took my show and seminar notes and began to review them. I had so much information thrown at me in such a short period of time that it is good to take the time and effort to go through the notes again from time to time, first of all when it is still fresh.

IWCE Vison'09 helped me to refocus my passion for what I do and clarify my vision of how to proceed for the future. It revitalized me and re-energized me! Now, I need to step away from the computer and head off to my first client of the day!

No comments: